The Final Word: Louisville Football Prepares For Kentucky
09/11/2013 08:26 PM
Tonight was the last time the Louisville Cardinal football team addressed the media before Saturday’s game. Here are the highlights of what they said.
- “You really have to have two different defensive schemes to get ready for [a two-quarterback system like UK].”
- “You’re talking about our rival right now, in-state. We recruit against each other and that’s one day you just don’t like them. Don’t come in my yard or there’s going to be some problems.”
- “It’s a game we both want to win. You get bragging rights for 364 days. That’s important to the people in this city, this university, and our players. It’s probably going to be the biggest game of the year so far.”
- “[Kentucky] goes so fast. To hear coach [Neal] Brown talk at the clinic back in January, he wants to get a play every 10 to 15 seconds. That’s hard to defend. That’s hard to get ready for. I think our team is in great shape, but it takes two or three series to calm down and get used to the speed of the game.”
- On the challenge of the up tempo offense: “Nothing. We just have to get lined up and then communicate on defense.”
- “People think it’s hard, but it’s actually pretty easy [preparing for two quarterbacks]. They can only do so much with two quarterbacks. We know one of them is a running quarterback and the other is a passing quarterback. We just have to be locked into who is in the game.”
- “Our main goal is to just get three-and-outs. Just get off the field on third down.”
- “Our mindset is do what we have to do and take care of our business. We should have no problems. We know they’re going to line up in a bunch of formations, do a lot of plays, but we just have to get lined up and communicate on defense.”
- “I wish we could get a few seconds of a breather [between plays], but we know they are going to check to the sidelines so we can get a breather.”
- “Our main goal is to not give up the big play and stop the run. Once we stop the run, they have to do something outside of their comfort zone, and that falls into our hands.”
Below the Fold
Subscribe and get the latest Sports Night info delivered to your inbox.