Why was Sen. Carroll given extra time in the 2005 State Police investigation?

07/27/2017 12:05 PM

During the course of a Pure Politics investigation into sexual assault allegations in 2005 against Sen. Julian Carroll, D-Frankfort, we learned supervisors within State Police halted investigators for 17 days. They were investigating claims made by then 30 year old Jason Geis, a Frankfort photographer, who captured Carroll’s unwanted advances on audio.

Inside 40 pages of documents obtained by Pure Politics via an open records request Sgt. Pat Zalone, who worked the State Police investigation in 2005 along with Detective Jasper White, reported they were instructed to delay their investigation into Carroll.

“Det. White and I were advised by Capt. J. Williams to wait until the conclusion of the Legislative Session before conducting an interview with Carroll,” Zalone wrote on February 11, 2005.

Seventeen days later Zalone wrote the investigation was allowed to proceed.

“Lt. K. Payne contacted me via cell phone. He advised me that Det. White and I could continue with this investigation,” Payne wrote on February 28, 2005.

The following day on February 29, 2005 Zalone contacted Carroll by phone requesting an interview. Carroll agreed to an interview at his Frankfort office. Later that day Zalone and White met with Carroll, but Carroll requested their interview not be tape recorded.

Pure Politics asked a spokesman for the Kentucky State Police why Carroll was given extra time, and why his interview was not tape recorded.

Lt. Michael Webb with the Public Affairs Branch of the KSP responded to our questions saying the current administration is committed to transparency.

“We strive to provide any information, as allowed by law and policy, as evidenced by our release of records in response to your requests,” Webb wrote.

“With that said, none of the people involved with that investigation remain at KSP,” he continued. “Please keep in mind that, since the investigation was closed 12 years ago, KSP has operated under four different commissioners and three different administrations. We’ve also undergone numerous changes in other leadership and personnel positions. Therefore, no one at the agency has enough first- or even second-hand knowledge of the case to provide you answers to those questions. Instead, I would suggest reaching out to the individuals who worked on the case at that time.”

Pure Politics tracked down Zalone to his home near Mt. Sterling this week. Zalone had no comment when asked about the 2005 investigation and the extra 17 days given to Carroll.

A phone message left for White was never returned before the investigation was aired on Spectrum News last week.

Records received by Pure Politics show that White and Zalone were contacted by then Deputy Kentucky State Police Commissioner Rick Stiltner about the investigation on February 1, 2005.

Stiltner wanted to know if Zalone had contacted Geis, records show. Zalone responded he had not yet and that he was reviewing the tapes made by Geis. Stiltner then inquired what his findings were thus far.

Stiltner then said he would meet with Zalone and Capt. J. Williams the next day at the Drug Enforcement East Office to discuss the investigation.

The following day then Deputy Commissioner reviewed materials given to the police by Geis, as well as handwritten notes troopers took during Geis’ first interaction with state police troopers. During that meeting Stiltner wanted to know “more history and background about how Carroll became acquainted with Geis.”

There are no other notes of an interaction with the deputy commissioner in the file labeled “confidential investigation,” obtained by Pure Politics.


Subscribe to email updates.

Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.