Tim Longmeyer sentenced to 70 months imprisonment in federal bribery case

09/29/2016 06:30 PM

UPDATED LEXINGTON — Former Personnel Cabinet Secretary Tim Longmeyer has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison for his role in a kickback scheme involving a Lexington-based consulting firm and the Kentucky Employees’ Health Plan.

Longmeyer, wearing a gray suit with a white shirt and blue tie, showed little emotion as U.S. District Judge Karen Caldwell read his 70-month sentence.

Caldwell said she considered not only the severity of Longmeyer’s crimes, but also the message that a lengthy prison stint would send to other public officials tempted to engage in similar illicit activity.

Longmeyer, who also served as Attorney General Andy Beshear’s top deputy, pleaded guilty to bribery charges in April after admitting that he accepted $197,500 in cash and $6,000 in conduit campaign contributions from MC Squared Consulting in exchange for helping secure work for the firm through Kentucky Employees’ Health Plan contracts held by Humana and Anthem between Oct. 1, 2014, and Sept. 30.

In his first public comments since the scandal broke in March, Longmeyer apologized to his family and those who trusted him in public service, saying he did not treat that trust with respect.

“There is no excuse for my actions,” he told the court Thursday. “The reasoning was my own, and I failed to follow my moral compass.”

Longmeyer said he felt “deeply ashamed” of his misdeeds and repeatedly apologized for his actions.

One of his attorneys, Brian Butler, pleaded with Caldwell to limit his time in prison to 30 months. He summed up what dozens wrote to the judge on Longmeyer’s behalf, saying he’d put his client’s record in public service up against any other’s until his downfall. Longmeyer, a former assistant commonwealth’s attorney and Democratic Party chairman in Jefferson County, was described as a family man who was also dedicated to his church and his career in the government and politics.

Butler also noted his client’s cooperation with investigators and prosecutors after he was informed of the ongoing investigation into his kickback scheme.

“He has literally done everything humanly possible to show his remorse,” Butler said.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Andy Boone countered that regardless of his cooperation and acceptance of responsibility, Longmeyer should have known better, particularly as a former prosecutor. Boone argued for a 70-month sentence, saying that would deter other public officials from following a similar illicit path.

While Longmeyer can count many accomplishments in his life and career, “unfortunately we are here today, and we’re talking about punishment for a very serious crime,” Boone said.

Longmeyer didn’t use the money he received from MC Squared to finance a lavish lifestyle, but rather spent more than half on “straw” political contributions, Boone said, adding that it was important to Longmeyer “to be seen as a team player.”

Caldwell said she was compelled by the letters of support for Longmeyer, but a “significant sentence” is a necessary deterrent for others.

“This defendant’s crime further erodes the public’s trust in government,” she said from the bench.

Longmeyer said little to reporters as he walked from the courthouse other than to reiterate his apology.

Asked about the trust placed in him by the Beshears, Longmeyer called them “a wonderful family” and said he was “very sorry for anybody I’ve let down.”

“As I said before, particularly sorry for the employees that often don’t get the recognition and do the hard work in that I might have diminished their accomplishments for some of the things I’ve done,” he said. “I’m very sorry.”

Outside the courthouse, U.S. Attorney Kerry Harvey said prosecutors were happy with the sentence handed down by Caldwell.

“As we’ve said before after occasions such as this, no one takes any joy in this sort of proceeding, but it’s necessary,” he said. “We take very seriously our role to protect the public, to protect the public fist from officials who succumb to the temptations of greed, and that’s what’s happened here.”

Longmeyer was ordered to pay more than $203,500 in restitution, plus a $100 fee. He’s also barred from opening a line of credit without court approval and must give his probation officer access to financial records, Caldwell said.

Butler indicated that a $50,000 check soon will be cut toward Longmeyer’s court debt.

Longmeyer is scheduled to report for prison assignment by 2 p.m. Dec. 7. He’ll be placed on three years’ supervised release once he serves his sentence.

A co-conspirator, Democratic political consultant Larry O’Bryan, pleaded guilty to bribery charges in U.S. District Court and waived indictment by a grand jury on Wednesday. O’Bryan admitted to receiving more than $642,000 between October 2011 and March 2014, according to prosecutors.

Asked about the swift and quiet guilty plea for O’Bryan after the attention given to the case against Longmeyer, Harvey said that isn’t unusual.

“I think in that particular case arrangements were made with the defendant’s attorney to enter the plea,” he said. “Defendants have a right to plead not guilty and go to trial. They also sometimes choose to proceed without all of that when they’re confronted with the evidence.”

Harvey declined to say why prosecutors chose to charge Longmeyer and O’Bryan for different timeframes. Prosecutors have said the kickback scheme was hatched in 2009.

“That gets into some areas that I really shouldn’t discuss,” he said. “I would just say that in both cases, we pursued the most serious, readily provable offense against those defendants, which is departmental policy, and I wouldn’t go beyond that.”

He also declined to say whether others, such as MC Squared owner Sam McIntosh or others at the firm, would face charges in the government’s probe, adding that the investigation is ongoing.

Kevin Wheatley

Kevin Wheatley is a reporter for Pure Politics. He joined cn|2 in September 2014 after five years at The State Journal in Frankfort, where he covered Kentucky government and politics. You can reach him at kevin.wheatley@charter.com or 502-792-1135 and follow him on Twitter at @KWheatley_cn2.

• sally sue wrote on September 30, 2016 09:13 AM :

“He has literally done everything humanly possible to show his remorse,”…..after he was caught.

• viewer wrote on September 30, 2016 09:24 AM :

Good morning, friends. The weekend is here. I never think it is appropriate to kick a man, when he is down. Tim Longmeyer has admitted his guilt and has been sentenced. Any spouse or person with kids knows how difficult this morning was for the Longmeyers. I am a sinner, and I too am not worthy of God’s grace. I don’t know what God has in store or what is in Mr. Longmeyer’s heart, but I and others will be praying for this family for the next several days and weeks.

I understand the seriousness of these charges. I will not second guess the judge in any way, but I will say it again. Political corruption needs to be treated similar to the RICO statute where they are fined 3 times what ever they stole. Mr. Longmeyer admitted to receiving $200,000 in ill gotten gains. He should be made to repay $600,000. A $600,000 fine and two years in prison would have satisfied me more, than $200,000 restitution and a seven year sentence.

The down fall of Mr. Longmeyer is not a shock to me, nor to others who have been in politics. Kentucky politics is as dirty as our sewer systems. What happened here, to Tim, can be best summed up as the old game we used to play as kids, musical chairs. You know the game where when the music stops, someone is left out of having a chair. That is how Mr. Longmeyer got caught up in this trap. The music, all of a sudden, stopped. Tim wasn’t prepared to find a chair, nor did he have any idea that the music would all of a sudden stop. He had a better chance of getting struck by lightning, he thought, than for someone at his level to be brought down by the federal government.

Tim’s thinking became as such not because he was arrogant and cocky. No sir. He knows the system. He knows the game. He knows the players. I have told you, friends. Ever since Bop Trot, back in the 90’s, the U.S. Attorney’s office has been a willing participant turning a blind eye to the corruption that has brought the state to its knees, if not an accomplice to it. People with integrity, past and present day, in the federal government law enforcement circles, have tried every which way they could to bring charges against some of these elite in our political structure but were turned down and given excuses, to the point where corruption has all but brought this state and its economic future to a complete shut down.

I’m not going to get into the weeds here, but the days where the U.S. Attorney’s office covers up for the big boys is over. I don’t know if we are going to get any people in the U.S. Attorney’s office, with cover ups, but that is where we should be looking. You can’t tell me that there are not bad actors in the U.S. Attorney’s office itself. You can’t tell me that there are not members of Congress pulling strings, to keep some of these powerful members of the community from being indicted. It is obvious what has been allowed to happen over the years.

I have come on here, friends, for years and told you that the FBI in the state of Kentucky has never been better than they are today. This is not just my opinion. This is a fact. What you have seen up to this point is only the beginning. Tim Longmeyer will not be the highest government official caught up in a sting, nor will all these politicos be in the democrat party. Several GOP members, in the Bluegrass, are living in glass houses today. Both parties have allowed corruption to overtake this state. Both Senate and House leadership, democrat and republican alike, have sat back and been enablers to this fleecing. The truth will come out in the next several months.

America is starving for integrity, for morals, for competency, for accountability. The lack of trust in our government officials, in our public and private institutions has to be at a 50 year low. Everywhere we look there is corruption. Watching Wells Fargo, yesterday, shows how far we have fallen. The only person to ever walk this earth, who was perfect, was Jesus Christ. I mess up every day. I fall from glory every day, but I have to believe the public has become just as rotten as the people we elect and have representing us in our government. It is a cause and effect, friends. We are all unworthy, but we can and must do better, in our own homes and with our expectations of what our society is supposed to look like and how it is supposed to be ran. These political insiders have taken over our government. More citizens have to get engaged. They have to get informed. They have to learn the issues, and last but not least, help turn some of these crooks in to the FBI. If you have information on anyone, including someone who works for the U.S. Attorney’s office, turn them in. If you have information on Senate President Robert Stivers, turn him in. If you have information on Speaker Greg Stumbo, call the FBI’s hotline. This is the only way this state has a chance for a new day. Tim Longmeyer would still be getting kick backs, if someone hadn’t picked up the phone. This was less than a $3 million deal. This bunch that we have elected is going through hundreds of millions of dollars in kick backs, pay to play schemes, government contracts, etc. Pick up the phone. The viewer.

• Joe L. Pet wrote on September 30, 2016 10:48 AM :

I’m glad you think so highly of the FBI in Kentucky, viewer. For my money their boss, James Comey, has exposed himself as just another compromised political whore with the Clinton email investigation.

• Joe L. Pet wrote on September 30, 2016 10:48 AM :

• viewer wrote on September 30, 2016 12:56 PM :

Joe L. Pet, I’m going to respond to your post, but I usually don’t because I have never seen you post on here before. Since I have been a supporter of both Director Comey and General Lynch, I will respond.

I have great respect and admiration for Dir. James Comey. With him at the head of the FBI, I have seen the bureau grow and take on challenges and tasks with lack of funding and manpower to hot spots all across the world. With the ever changing technologies and evil actors multiplying at a rate of speed we have never before witnessed in modern times, I am thankful to know every day that we have the capable leadership that Dir. Comey possesses.

As for Attorney General Loretta Lynch, her work as the U.S. Attorney of the Southern District of New York speaks for itself. I came on here and asked our senators, Sen. Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul, to approve her nomination as the U.S. Attorney General for the country. Her integrity, as the head in New York, speaks volumes of her credibility. She brought corruption down and many of those she took down were high ranking democrat officials. So, I stand by my support for her and will give her the benefit of the doubt.

I will not gloss over how all of this looks pertaining to the Clinton e-mails. It looks bad, and it does hurt the faith in the FBI. I know it, and I hate that. But, it is what it is.

Friends, we have to have the FBI to bring this corruption to an end. There is no other agency, in this state, that has any chance of helping us begin a new path that is desperately needed for the Commonwealth. I love this state. I love eastern Kentucky, but we are rotten to the core. I have total confidence in the men and women of the FBI stationed in Kentucky. That is the headquarters in Louisville and satellite offices in Lexington and Pikeville. I can’t help or change what is going on in Washington. In truth, no one knows why Dir. Comey did what he did. There is a good chance that he did this for prosecutions later on down the road. Maybe not e-mail prosecutions, but possibly ties that will lead to foreign espionage. James Comey did not sell out for George Bush. The James Comey that I backed and still support today is not going to sell out his reputation or his beloved bureau for the Clintons. The FBI is the best law enforcement agency in the world. They don’t talk out of school. I would bet anything that there are things here that we are just not privy to and nor should we be. Law enforcement cannot expedite cases just on account of the timing of elections. The viewer.