Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to hold Vegas fundraiser benefiting Alison Lundergan Grimes

09/12/2013 12:14 PM

U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid will hold a luncheon benefiting Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign in U.S. Senate race against Reid’s Republican counterpart, Kentucky U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell.

Reid will hold the hour-long luncheon in Las Vegas on Friday, Oct. 11. The event is being organized by Seachlight Leadership Fund, which Reid founded in 1997.

Tickets for the event range from $1,000 for a guest and $5,000 for a PAC co-host, according to the fundraising notice published on the progressive site ActBlue.com.

Calls to the Grimes campaign and Searchlight Leadership Fund to see if Grimes will attend the event were not immediately returned.

The Republican Party of Kentucky criticized the event, saying it was further proof a link between Grimes and Reid. The McConnell campaign has highlighted some of Reid’s past statements about coal, including saying that coal “makes us sick” during a 2008 TV interview.

“It should tell Kentuckians all they need to know that the biggest supporter of Alison Lundergan Grimes’ campaign is Harry Reid, the man who thinks ‘coal makes us sick,’” said Kelsey Cooper, Communications Director for the Republican Party of Kentucky. “If Alison was elected to the Senate, it would ensure that liberal Harry Reid and Barack Obama continue to set national coal policy rather than a Kentucky champion for coal, Mitch McConnell.”

While it is unusual for a party’s Senate leader to get involved in a race against a fellow leader, this would not be the first time. Former Republican Leader Bill Frist campaigned and raised money for John Thune against then-Democratic Leader Tom Daschle in 2004.

Grimes is also holding other big fundraisers in September with big names such as musical star will.i.am, former Clinton strategist James Carville, and movie executive Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Jacqueline Pitts

Jacqueline Pitts joined the cn|2 political team in June 2012. A graduate of WKU, Jacqueline grew up in Nashville, TN and is looking forward to having a front row seat to Kentucky politics. Follow Jacqueline on Twitter @Jacqueline_cn2. She can be reached at 502-792-1114 or jacqueline.pitts@twcnews.com.

Comments

• Jon Weiss wrote on September 12, 2013 01:14 PM :

I just had another encounter with the “White House Comment Line”.

I explained to the operator that I was having great difficulty finding out detailed information on Obama Care, she suggested that I write to the White House for information.

I explained that I had already done so, several times, over the past year, and that I had received no response, in fact that I had contacted the White House by mail and email, several times a month, over the past five years, on a variety of subjects and received no responses, including my recent inquiries into Obama care.

The person on the phone continued to talk over me while I was attempting to relate the actions I had taken, and the results I had received,

Then, out of the blue, I was informed by the operator that I was a liar, and that what I was relating to her could not possibly be true, because Obama care was not in effect five years ago.

This is the same type of response I have received from Governor Beshear(D) KY on the subject of Obama care, in May of 2011, I contacted the Kentucky Governor’s office and asked pointed questions on the health care law, I received no response from his office, so I called again in August of 2011, and again in November 2011, in 2012, I called in January, July, October and December, each time I called the people in the governors office acted as if they had no clue as to my previous inquiries and refused to answer any questions, each time promising to bring the subject to the governor.

I did get one call in Dec 2012, a few days after my call asking me to clarify my question, I complied with the request and was promised a letter in response, the letter never came.

This past summer, late June, I called the state health agency, they transferred me to the state Attorney Generals office, who transferred me to the Governors office, I related the sequence of events to the person who answered the phone, there. This man said that there was no record of my ever having contacted anyone in the state government on that issue. Then I got an e-mail from this same man on 25 July, relating that they had discovered multiple instances of where I had contacted the governors office on the subject of Obama care, and that if there was anything they could do to be of assistance to be sure to call them. I still have not received a response to my questions.

I called Nancy Pelosi’s office on the same subject, she sent a canned response telling me that she had received my inquiry, and then proceeded to extol all of the wonder things she had done for the people of the U.S., still no answers.

I must wonder, why are all of these Democrats afraid to talk about Obama Care, I can only assume due to a lack of information that they are scared to death that they might get held accountable for this unmitigated disaster of a law.

• Joyce Medved wrote on September 12, 2013 01:33 PM :

This sort of thing is indicative of what’s wrong in politics. Instead of seeing who can “buy” the most votes, they should all be out there pounding the pavement discussing issues with the people they want to represent. They have all abandoned the representative form of government and it is now simply a subversive process that benefits no one except those who get elected. They lie, steal our hard earned money from us,and are taking more more of our freedom from us.What on earth is she doing in Las Vegas when her proposed constituents are in Kentucky?

• Willie K. wrote on September 13, 2013 08:20 AM :

Crawl out from under that rock, Jon Weiss. Every publication you pick up today and every online news source has information about Obamacare. If all else fails, you can read the bill or various government webistes. Nobody believes that you cannot get detailed information about something that has probably been the most publicized piece of legislation in history. What a crock!

• sam pierce wrote on September 13, 2013 09:57 AM :

Why would anyone, except the most partisan Democrats, vote for Grimes? She is having Harry Reid raise money for her so she will vote for Reid as Senate Majority Leader. We need a Kentuckian as Majority Leader—Mitch McConnell. Grimes is a traitor to Kentucky who will sell her soul to raise money.

• Bruce Layne wrote on September 13, 2013 10:39 AM :

This reminds me of Mitch McConnell and the National Republican Senatorial Committee inviting Trey Grayson to DC (the District of Criminals) for a big gala fundraiser for Kentucky’s 2010 US Senate race. Some bad investments were made that day! Those bribes were nonrefundable. Poor lobbyists.

Grimes is just like Grayson. A bad investment for your lobbyist bribes. A real long shot bet for political handicappers.

• dudley gaines wrote on September 13, 2013 04:38 PM :

How appropriate, a fundraiser in Las Vegas. She scares me to death. Very little knowledge but does very well in photo-ops. Another tax & spend Liberal. Does she know where Syria is?

• Dee W. wrote on September 14, 2013 10:24 AM :

Bruce – as you know they also invited Rand Paul there for the same exact thing.