Senate Majority Floor Leader Damon Thayer will not run for Secretary of State in 2019

01/13/2018 10:03 AM

FRANKFORT – After considering a run for Secretary of State in 2019, Republican Senate Majority Floor Leader Damon Thayer, R-Georgetown, has decided not to run for the statewide office.

Thayer, who has served in the Senate since 2003, said that he did not want the distraction of running for a statewide office to get in the way of the work that he’s currently doing in the Senate.

“I have determined that the best way to serve my district, my caucus, my party and my state is to stay in the state Senate and focus on this job,” Thayer said. “There’s still a lot of work to be done here, both in my roll as a senator and as Majority Floor Leader, and I really don’t want to be distracted by kicking off a statewide campaign.”

While Thayer says that he will not run for a statewide office in 2019, he did not rule out the possibility of doing so in the future.

“I think everybody in the legislature, they probably wouldn’t admit it, but everybody, at one time or another, considered a run for statewide office and I think that’s certainly a possibility somewhere down the road,” Thayer said. “But, unless something changes drastically, it is going to be unlikely for me.”

Don Weber

Don Weber is a Video Journalist for Spectrum News and covers politics and education on Pure Politics, Kentucky’s only nightly program dedicated to state politics. Don is a lifelong Kentuckian and a graduate of Northern Kentucky University. He spent many years covering sports in the Northern Kentucky area before shifting primarily to politics. You can watch Don’s work weeknights at 7:00 and 11:30 on Pure Politics, available exclusively on Spectrum News, HD Channels 403 and 715. If you have a story idea you can reach Don at donald.weber@charter.com.

Comments

• Ricky Lee Williams Jr. wrote on January 13, 2018 12:11 PM :

I have been given permission to announce who The viewer group is looking to recruit for the 2019 statewide elected races.

Governor: Rep. Rick Rand.

Attorney General: Rep. Jason Nemes.

Sec. of State: Sen. Max Wise.

Auditor: We are conflicted on this one. We have 2 names, but we will hold on for a little bit longer. Some of the issues with Auditor Mike Harmon are not his fault or his office’s. There are several federal investigations on-going, now across the state, where the Feds do not want to get in with the state government or tip off what they are looking at, with political waste, fraud, and abuse, inside our state government. It doesn’t have anything to do with them not trusting the Auditor’s office. It is just that everyone knows it is difficult to keep a secret in the Frankfort circles, due to the close connection of one another. There has been major breeches the last several years, and I’m sure the Feds are doing all they can to keep that from happening again.

Agriculture Commissioner and Treasurer: We are putting our full support behind Ryan Quarles and Allison Ball. Ball and Quarles have exceeded our expectations. They are the hardest working elected officials in Kentucky. Both are young and the sky is the limit on how far their political careers can reach.

As for Sen. Damon Thayer, Thayer is one of those people you love or hate. I don’t see him having too much appeal outside of his Scott County district. To his credit, he runs the Senate like a fine machine. He knows all the rules and procedures, and that is very important. I respect him for it.

One thing I see that could possibly trip Thayer up is if Amy McGrath does well and gets known in that area. She could come back in 2020 and give Thayer a run for his senate seat. I see Jim Gray coming out of the democrat primary, but the folks I have been speaking with, who have met Amy McGrath, like what she is about. Her past career is highly decorated, and her service is something to be admired. RL

• Cat Balz wrote on January 13, 2018 02:29 PM :

I hereby announce that I will become a candidate for Secretary of State. My promise is this…I will show up at the office at least twice as often as Alison Grimes does which means I am committing to a two day work week.

• Honest Parley wrote on January 15, 2018 12:09 AM :

We put this bit of “news” in the (YAWN!) “Who Cares?” category. The carpet-bagging Grinch has no future as a statewide candidate, either here or in his home state of Michigan. The arrogance regularly displayed by Sen. Thamon Dayer embodies ALL that is wrong in Frankfort in general and the legislature in particular. We long for the day when Sen. Dayer assumes the relevance of, say, his nemesis Adam Edelen.

• Ricky Lee Williams Jr. wrote on January 15, 2018 07:31 AM :

Ohio Opioid woes one reason drug lawsuits brought to state. By Andrew Welsh-Huggins

• JoeB wrote on January 15, 2018 11:02 PM :

Oh how I wish Thayer would run for state wide office. Talk about someone getting their little self importance bubble bursted when hes buried in a state wide election lol. Mr Arrogance is a legend in his own mind.I long for the day when the people of his district wise up and send his rear end back to private life or better yet his home state of Michigan.Hes one of those that only listens to big business interests and to the thoughts in his own head instead of his local constituents.Hes a prime example of what is wrong with elected officials in Frankfort and an exhibit of one that is bought and paid for by big business interests such as the state level Ky Chamber of Commerce.

• Heza Putz wrote on January 16, 2018 10:12 AM :

Exactly what “relevance” is there to Adam Edelen? Despite a HUGE fundraising advantage didn’t he lose to Gomer Pyle’s love child?

TWEETS ABOUT KY POLITICS