School for sex? A powerful Kentucky lawmaker's proposition caught on tape

07/22/2017 09:18 PM

More than 10 years ago budding photographer Jason Geis wanted to go to art school. He says a high-profile Kentucky lawmaker took an interest in his work and promised to help him.

Instead of help, Geis said he was groped and propositioned for sex. And that’s not all. When he turned to police for help, he says the whole thing was swept under the rug.

Relying on previously undisclosed police files, a hidden recording and interviews with Geis and the lawmaker, Pure Politics offers the following eleven month investigation into the allegations and why they were kept quiet for so long.

A week after the incident in February 2005, Geis said he went to the Kentucky State Police and played the tape for two troopers. What happened after state police got involved in the next portion of our investigation.

When investigators met with the lawmaker again he had a different version of how his meeting with Geis went. How that story changed, and what it meant to the investigation in the third and final portion of the story.

Nick Storm

Nick Storm is the Anchor and Managing Editor of Pure Politics available exclusively on Spectrum News. Pure Politics is the only nightly program dedicated to Kentucky politics. Nick covers all of the political heavyweights and his investigative work brings to light issues that might otherwise go unnoticed, like his coverage of the backlog of DNA rape kits waiting to be tested in Kentucky. Nick is also working on a feature length bio documentary Outlaw Poet: A documentary on Ron Whitehead. Pure Politics airs weeknight at 7 and 11:30 on Spectrum News. Follow Nick on Twitter @NStorm_Politics. Nick can be reached at 502-792-1107 or nicholas.storm@charter.com.

Comments

• I'm just saying... wrote on July 23, 2017 08:22 AM :

Two questions:

Has the tape been authenticated by you or KSP as un-edited?

So what? If the old man tried to get of what crime was committed?

• Andrea Wise wrote on July 23, 2017 06:34 PM :

I am saddened by this entire situation. However, in the days of shoddy reporting, I’d like to offer congratulations and thanks to Nick Storm for what seems to be a tight investigative report. I haven’t seen a news report so eloquently executed since I can remember when. Although the subject is terrible and tragic, Nick Storm seems to have handled himself with the utmost professionalism and presented actual proof of the story in a concise manner. I truly believed that great investigative journalism was a thing of the past. Thank you for showing me different.

• AllPainNoGain wrote on July 23, 2017 07:37 PM :

This is tabloid journalism at its worst/finest. This isn’t news. Replace that Adult man with an adult woman and this wouldn’t even be a blip on our radar. Let me understand this, an adult man inappropriately hit on another adult man. Where is the crime? Shame on you, Nick Storm and Spectrum “news”. There was never a crime, there was never a coverup…this is just a case of homophobic bigots trying to make a story…and most people eat this crap up.

• well duh wrote on July 23, 2017 09:04 PM :

The crime would be a lawmaker trying to trade favors for sex acts. I thought that seemed pretty cut and dry….you know, since it’s in the tittle of the story.

• Wayne Ballinger wrote on July 23, 2017 11:33 PM :

Has anyone heard of the laws regarding “sexual harassment,” and the crime arising from such actions? This is what is happening in this case.

• Taking the pulse on politics wrote on July 24, 2017 12:59 AM :

One question for clarification. If the solicitation took place in Danville, which is in Boyle County, why was the Lincoln County Attorney approached for about prosecution?

• AverageJoe wrote on July 24, 2017 09:49 AM :

I have always thought Gov. Carroll was a lying crook who covered his tracks very well. It now appears that he is a an over bearing senior citizen gay guy, but so what! This is complete tabloid crap.

• Honest Parley wrote on July 24, 2017 09:58 AM :

We are no fan of Senator/Governor/Lt. Governor Carroll, and we never have been. His blind partisanship, his arrogance and condescending, dismissive nature with those who dare to disagree with his omnipotence is something we have observed numerous times in the past. But with that said, with all the challenges and problematic issues we face in the Commonwealth, how can this so-called story rise to the top of Mr. Storm’s priorities? Even if a crime was committed (which is clearly questionable in this case), then why is this story worth committing limited investigative resources given the myriad other options Mr. Storm has to investigate. Just as Mr. Storm’s investigative resources are limited, so too are those of law enforcement agencies. There are serious crimes being committed against people that do and clearly should take priority over Mr. Geis’s inability to emotionally manage a proposition made by one adult to another. With this story, Mr. Storm has strongly proven himself to be a stellar investigative journalist in technique in ways that could be of great benefit to all of us, but his judgement on which story to investigate leaves much to be desired in our present state of affairs.

Finally, Mr. Jason Mack should be barred from commenting on this site and his comment submitted at 12:36AM on 7/24 should be deleted immediately. His comment represents the very worst our society has to offer, and his perspective is of no value to civil, constructive deliberation. His cowardice is clear, and his poor judgement is unworthy of anyone having to witness on this site or anywhere else.

• Tom Scruggs wrote on July 24, 2017 12:34 PM :

I have known Julian Carroll all of my life. I went to school with his kids. After he became governor, my family’s friendship slipped gradually away, but I was saddened to read this story. If true, it’s too bad he couldn’t have come out earlier in life and enjoyed life as a gay man. Also if true, this is a non-story. Would it be making news if it were between a man and a woman? I don’t think so.

• Heza Putz wrote on July 24, 2017 01:13 PM :

Maybe Carroll’s preacher can convert the old hypocrite.

• Barbara B Rucker wrote on July 24, 2017 01:25 PM :

I may be naive but I just don’t believe it.

• Barbara B Rucker wrote on July 24, 2017 01:26 PM :

I may be naive but I just don’t believe it.

• Jester wrote on July 24, 2017 02:52 PM :

Wayne, sexual harassment is not a criminal act. There is no criminal law for sexual harassment in Kentucky.

And “Well duh” can you point us to the crominal law about “trading favors for sex acts”?

I’m no fan of politicians like Carroll, and the kind of acticity alleged in this story is the behavior we’d expect from democrats, but you two commenters can’t just call this a crime without any citations of law and expect anyone to take you seriously.

• Jester wrote on July 24, 2017 02:52 PM :

• Ed Biscane wrote on July 24, 2017 03:08 PM :

Great job. Fair and balanced reporting. No politics. Just facts.

• Beth wrote on July 24, 2017 03:35 PM :

For those saying it doesn’t matter – it does because of the hypocrisy. The statement he made about “Christian” friends and making a “choice” is pandering at its finest. He got caught – this time. It surely wasn’t the first or the last. I’m a liberal Democrat who calls out both sides.

• Beth wrote on July 24, 2017 03:36 PM :

• Beth wrote on July 24, 2017 03:36 PM :

• Beth wrote on July 24, 2017 03:36 PM :

• Beth wrote on July 24, 2017 03:36 PM :

• Dee W. wrote on July 28, 2017 12:00 AM :

It is difficult to take some of these comments seriously – we don’t know if all of these specific allegations are true, but some people are actually arguing that even if they are all true, that sexual assault (groping someone) is not a crime, not a big deal, etc.? Are you all nuts?

• Jessica wrote on July 28, 2017 01:22 AM :

While not proven by the audio tape, given the comments to this article-

It is not “sexual harrassment”, nor excusable because you are gay, or because your both adults, to put your hands down someone’s pants and touch their genitals, without their consent, certainly after they have told you “no” repeatedly and are crying. I think the crime, if it occured, would be sexual assault.

Now, you can discuss whether it happened or would be successful in court, therefore whether it was suppressed or dropped because of difficulty to prosecute, which is problem with many allegations of a sexual nature and sucks.

Beyond that it is at least skeezy, gross, predatory behavior unbecoming to public figures- on the tape and as the reason somebody released it. Is it good to expose it- probably yes. I want to know. Maybe I NEED to know. Because I wanted to think that politicians were like me-worried about the grass needing to be cut, paying the bills, what someone I loved wants for their birthday or how many more days i have with them. Where our country is headed. Not this. This..doesn’t cross my mind and I don’t expect it to be on theirs.

But intent for exposing it matters, too. And newspaper headlines indicate that glass houses abound.

Just so our politicians know- Im afraid neither political party wins here. We expect more from you as you conduct our business. We expect more from you as men in our communities. As father’s and grandfather’s and husbands. Our protectors.

You are supposed to be our leaders and today I don’t know where we are headed, because it isn’t just Julian Carroll who may have his head in the wrong place.

Today, I am sad and afraid. Really afraid. On many levels. And it isnt directed at a particular person or political party just because the person in the story is of a particular party. That is a burden you ALL now carry into future elections. Just be better.

TWEETS ABOUT KY POLITICS