Rep. Rick Rand says House Democrats to assume new role as they fall to the minority

12/23/2016 02:30 PM

FRANKFORT – Rep. Rick Rand, D-Bedford, who has served in the House since 2003, says that Democrats will transfer from a policy making caucus to loyal opposition when they arrive in Frankfort in the minority for the first time in 95 years.

Rand has chaired the House Appropriations and Revenue Committee, but that will end in 2017 as the GOP now holds a 64-36 majority.

“You know, I think we will still defend the things that we’ve defended all along, you know, working people, public education, jobs and creating a climate to create jobs in Kentucky,” Rand said.

Rand acknowledges that it will be different with Democrats no longer calling most of the shots in committees but still believes that his party will still be heard from.

“I think has a committee chair and a sub committee chair, we have an in depth understanding of what the issues are, how the process works, and I think we will continue to fight and work very hard for those issues to the Democratic Party.

Rand fully expects House Republicans to push issues that Democrats have blocked in past sessions.

“I think right to work is going to be a primary issue for them,” Rand said. “I don’t know why we have to attack labor in terms of the cost of doing business but that’s what the Republican majority chooses to do. I think Republicans have run a long time on these very divisive social issues and its’ hard for me to believe that the people of have advocated those, in particular, The Family Foundation, will let the Republican Party fall back on their promises to push those social issues. So, I think there will be a whole host of those social issues during this session and the long session next year.”

About Don Weber

Don Weber joined cn|2 when it launched back in May 2010 and soon became a reporter for Pure Politics. He is a graduate of Northern Kentucky University and has spent many years covering everything from politics to sports. Don says he loves meeting new people everyday as part of his job and also enjoys the fact that no two days are the same when he comes to work. Don Weber can be reached at donald.weber@charter.com.

Comments

• Charlie wrote on December 23, 2016 03:10 PM :

By saying “I think we will still defend the things we have defended all along” is Representative Rand referring to corruption and cronyism?

• Steve Everett wrote on December 24, 2016 03:00 AM :

Representative Rand would be a billion times better governor than Mad Matt

• viewer wrote on December 24, 2016 12:00 PM :

I would like to send thoughts and prayers out to State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Inspector, Benita Blanton’s family and friends. Inspector Blanton will be laid to rest, later today, in Morehead. Ms. Blanton worked many years for the Kentucky State Police Post 8, as a dispatcher. She went on to work for the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. She wreaked this week, up in Rowan County, on I-64. I ask everyone to keep her family in their thoughts over the holidays.

Rep. Rick Rand is not the enemy. If I am Jeff Hoover, or anyone in leadership, I am asking Rep. Rand to help out as much as possible to prepare for the 2018 budget. This budget will be around $12 billion in state funds. What many do not understand is that, each session,these budgets amount to an impact of $60 to $80 billion, on the state economy. This is a massive undertaking, and Rick Rand has done about the best job possible in trying to manage this the last several years, under the circumstances.

House democrats, who I have a lot in common with and respect for, are Rick Rand, Arnold Simpson, Steve Riggs, and Chris Harris. The House side of the General Assembly has always been the weak link. Although, there is a lot of new talent coming in from the results of this last election, and this will be one of the most talented group of freshmen that I have seen. I still see the House as being the problem for the unforeseeable future.

On a bright note, I was highly impressed with the Chamber of Commerce meet and greet this week in Lexington. I don’t know a lot about Rep. Jonathan Shell, but what I heard from this Chamber function, if that is who he is and what he is going to bring to leadership in the House, he will have an ally in me. That was the perfect tone and message to send, to get the 2017 session started. He recognizes and acknowledges the difference in areas and needs that many too often overlook. Few pick up the differences between areas like Owensboro and Bowling Green or the differences between Lexington and Louisville’ needs. All republicans are not the same. We think similar, but not identical.

I watched, on the Chamber’s webpage, the panel with Stivers and the next panel, with the criminal justice. That is as far as I have gotten. Both of those panels were what I wanted to hear. I heard substance and vision. That gives me hope that things will change. That things will be done differently.

As for the influence coming from the Family Foundation… Talking about this organization is about as difficult as talking about the Jewish faith. Although, I am with them more than not, it is a slippery slope. Sometimes their influence is a little too much. I’m hoping that after the selection of our leadership in the House, that is a sign that we are going to do everything in moderation this coming session.

Kentucky is a Christian state. I am a Christian, who is no better than anyone. I am thankful for the Grace that God has bestowed upon me, and the love my Christian brothers and sisters have shown me throughout my life. The voters voted for more than just religious issues. They voted for a fix to the problems in the economy, for the corruption that has taken over Frankfort, the billion dollar underfunded pension system, the problems in our education system, and many more issues that this state has struggled with for years under democrat control. Everyone needs to keep this in mind, or we will repeat the failures of the Fletcher administration. The public can turn that fast, if we haven’t learned from that exercise.

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I hope everyone stops to take a look at what they have. Often, we focus and dwell on problems and miss the many blessings in our lives. Stop to take a look around at what you are blessed with this Christmas season. The good things that God has placed in your lives. Let the petty stuff go. If you need, pick up the phone and tell someone you are sorry. Call a family member you haven’t spoken to in awhile and tell them you love them. When you return some gifts at the mall next week, stop at the homeless shelters and drop something off. Pick up some soup and toiletries and drop them off at the church. Go through your closet and see if you have old jackets, shoes, blankets, etc. that you no longer use. Small things to you are big to those who are less fortunate. Most reading this website have been blessed tremendously. Don’t ever lose sight of others’ struggles. God bless you, friends. Merry Christmas. The viewer.

• Cumberland Gap wrote on December 30, 2016 09:28 AM :

Yes, social issues will reign supreme from the fundamentalists who want to steer hard right and away from the mainstream Christians. Is it hypocritical for those who say they want less government to use more government to get their way on their faith beliefs?

• Dee W. wrote on January 03, 2017 09:14 PM :

No, Cumberland Gap, it is about protecting basic, fundamental rights – such as the right to be born in the first place and to not be forced to participate in events and ceremonies you don’t feel is appropriate for you to participate in – protecting the most basic of rights.

TWEETS ABOUT KENTUCKY POLITICS