Public Policy Polling releases poll with large lead for Beshear, closer down ballot races
08/30/2011 02:28 PM
North Carolina polling firm Public Policy Polling is ready to call Kentucky’s governor’s race today, based on a poll they released with Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear up 27 points.
The poll, taken Aug. 25 to the 28, surveyed 600 voters and has a margin of error of 4 points. PPP is considered a Democratic polling firm and uses automated telephone interviews.
In the poll, Beshear leads Republican David Williams 55-to-28, with independent Gatewood Galbraith polling at 10 percent. The margin continues a slide in polling for Williams, who was down 21 points in a Pure Politics poll after the primary and 24 points down in a SurveyUSA poll taken the week of Fancy Farm.
PPP also says Beshear is the fourth most popular governor in the nation, with a 57 percent approval rating.
But the most interesting poll numbers are the down ballot ones, where many races are suddenly tightening up.
- Auditor’s race: Democrat Adam Edelen leads Republican John Kemper 34-to-31 with 35 percent undecided.
- Secretary of State: Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes leads Republican Bill Johnson 38-to-35 with 27 percent undecided.
- Ag Commissioner: Republican James Comer up 37-to-36 over Democrat Bob Farmer, with 27 percent undecided.
- Attorney General: Democrat Jack Conway over Republican Todd P’Pool, 47-to-36.
- Treasurer: Democrat Todd Hollenbach up 43-to-28 over Republican K.C. Crosbie. Libertarian Ken Moellman is at 16 percent.
The full results of the poll can be seen here
Below the Fold
Endorsements from top GOP brass likely for Bevin, but he needs to work on donors, Scott Jennings says
Northern Kentucky officials say Bevin's ground game in the area a key in sweeping the three-county region
Secretary Larry Hayes to retire from Economic Development Cabinet, Beshear to conduct national search
Hindsight 20/20 in wake of 83-vote loss for Comer while link to controversy, Bevin’s bid hurt Heiner, observers say
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.