Paul calls news conference to answer debate mystery
10/22/2010 09:21 AM
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul will hold a news conference in Lexington at 1:45 p.m. to say whether he will participate in the fifth and final debate of Kentucky’s U.S. Senate race, his campaign announced Friday morning.
Paul has threatened to withdraw from the debate — scheduled for Monday night to air on Kentucky Educational Television — after his opponent, Jack Conway, started airing ads questioning Paul on allegations against him that arose from his time at Baylor University in the 1980s.
Conway and Paul spent much of the most recent debate Sunday night arguing about the allegations in that ad. Some of the accusations rest on an anonymous source who claimed in articles in GQ and the Washington Post that Paul played a prank on her that involved asking her to bow to “Aqua Buddha.”
Paul has yet to tip his hand about whether or not he’ll show up at the statewide televised debate. Conway’s campaign has said he’ll be there regardless of Paul’s decision.
- Kenny Colston
Below the Fold
Insure Kentucky celebrates 7th anniversary of Obamacare with U.S. House poised to vote on replacement
Previously untested sexual assault kit links with serial rapist; As kits come back work continues to inform victims
Trump's first budget proposal will "have a hard time getting much traction" in Congress, Yarmuth says
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.