Loose ends: Conway vs. Paul edition, Vol. 1
05/22/2010 06:18 AM
- Rand Paul spoke “at length” on Friday with U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers, R-Somerset, who backed Trey Grayson in the GOP primary, Paul campaign manager David Adams said. Adams said his understanding from Rogers aide Bob Mitchell was that it was a constructive conversation. Rogers is expected to be among the GOP leaders at Saturday’s unity event.
- Paul also finally spoke with Grayson after Grayson’s phone call Tuesday night to concede never reached Paul. “I’m told it went well, according to Rand,” Adams said.
- The Paul campaign is planning its first major fund-raiser of the race, tentatively set for June 26 in Central Kentucky. Paul raised much of his money from national donors through online “money bomb” campaigns. He only had three small traditional fund-raisers involving invitations during the spring primary, in which he rasied more than $3 million. Adams said the campaign hopes to bring a national figure to headline the June 26 event.
- While Paul has dominated the cable news networks, Democratic candidate Jack Conway has made several national appearances himself, including with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Friday. He is scheduled to be on CNN again Monday afternoon with Rick Sanchez and, later that day, slated to talk with MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, said campaign spokeswoman Allison Haley.
- Conway spoke earlier in the week with his chief rival in the Democratic primary, Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo. Mongiardo, who has headed to Hazard to spend time with his family and clear his head, pledged to stand with Conway soon to urge party unity after the close race Conway won by slightly more than 3,500 votes out of 520,000 cast. “There are plans for the two of them to meet very soon and talk about the next steps toward unifiying this party,” Haley said.
Below the Fold
Bill looking to limit contingency fee contracts awarded by attorney general to $10M clears House committee
Supporters of criminal justice reform bill say it'll help felons find work, ease transition in society
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.