Lewis and Clark Bridge opens, wrapping up Ohio River Bridges project
12/18/2016 08:41 PM
The final piece of the $2.3 billion Ohio River Bridges project opened to traffic on Sunday as a 500-vehicle caravan crossed the newly christened Lewis and Clark Bridge connecting Prospect with Utica, Ind.
Indiana Gov.-elect Eric Holcomb announced the span’s name during a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Sunday, according to a news release from the Indiana Department of Transportation. Vice President-elect Mike Pence named the bridge via executive order.
“After decades of discussion and stalled progress, many people thought we’d never see this moment,” Holcomb said in a statement. “Now, communities on both sides of the Ohio River will reap the benefit of improved, safe interstate access.”
The project was a joint effort between Kentucky and Indiana.
“This crowning achievement, forty years in the making, just goes to show what we can accomplish when we work together towards a common goal,” Gov. Matt Bevin said in a statement.
“Without our partners, including the state of Indiana, Walsh Construction, WVB East End Partners and an outstanding labor force, among others, the completion of this project would not have been possible. We are grateful for all who came together as an enthusiastic community to improve economic opportunity and improve mobility for everyone traveling through this region.”
The bridge is one of two built as part of the project, with the Abraham Lincoln Bridge opening in downtown Louisville last year and the adjacent John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge renovated. Both with carry Interstate 65 traffic.
Tolling on the three bridges is slated to begin Dec. 30.
Below the Fold
Trump's first budget proposal will "have a hard time getting much traction" in Congress, Yarmuth says
Son of state senator banned from 3rd floor of Capitol Annex says he will hire an attorney to clear his name
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.