Korean War veteran fears that many Americans have lost significance of Memorial Day

05/30/2016 02:13 PM

ALEXANDRIA — Veterans are concerned that many younger people in the country today have forgotten the true meaning of what Memorial Day is all about.

U.S. Army Korean War veteran J.W. Crail, who was the grand marshal at this year’s Campbell County Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3205 Memorial Day Parade, expressed concern that a lot of citizens just look at the holiday as a day off work for picnics and fun and not a day to recognize the service of military veterans like him.

“I’d say 40 percent of the people remembered,” Crail said. “The other 60 percent don’t care. You go some places, younger people don’t know what Memorial Day is.”

For Crail, the day is about remembering his fallen comrades.

“Well, Memorial Day to me is (about) the guys that were with me that didn’t make it home,” Crail said. “They didn’t get the chance to live as long as I have or enjoy life.”

Don Weber

Don Weber is a Video Journalist for Spectrum News and covers politics and education on Pure Politics, Kentucky’s only nightly program dedicated to state politics. Don is a lifelong Kentuckian and a graduate of Northern Kentucky University. He spent many years covering sports in the Northern Kentucky area before shifting primarily to politics. You can watch Don’s work weeknights at 7:00 and 11:30 on Pure Politics, available exclusively on Spectrum News, HD Channels 403 and 715. If you have a story idea you can reach Don at donald.weber@charter.com.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Subscribe to email updates.

Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.

TWEETS ABOUT KY POLITICS