Kentucky Woman Relentlessly Pushes Senators to Block Kavanaugh Confirmation

08/30/2018 12:53 PM

By: Eva McKend

WASHINGTON-With confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh set to start next week, a young woman with ties to Lexington is gaining attention for her activism on Capitol Hill. Reproductive justice advocate Angela Maske has been working to meet with key players for more than a month. Washington reporter Eva McKend has the details.

For Angela Maske, this work is personal.

“My interests in reproductive justice actually stemmed from my time living in Kentucky. In middle school in particular, we didn’t have much sex ed. In fact, in high school, we didn’t have any sex ed really. I remember seeing many of my fellow students going around not knowing how to protect themselves, what consent is and things like that. As early as 8th grade, I remember many of peers getting pregnant unintentionally and having to leave school. For me that was something that was really heart breaking because I know a lot of these students loved being in school,” said Maske.

The Georgetown University senior and president of H*yas for Choice has been going up and down the halls of the Senate buildings for more than a month in effort to get facetime with the Senators she believes she can persuade to block Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh. A video she tweeted out this month racked up more than 8,000 views. Maske is convinced Kavanaugh will overturn Roe vs. Wade, though he has told some senators he has met with that it is “settled law.”

“My Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul do not support reproductive rights or reproductive health care and so that’s why I’m calling on Senator Susan Collins and Senator Lisa Murkowski who have shown in the past that they are advocates for reproductive health care,” said Maske.

Spectrum News Kentucky: The vast majority of people in Kentucky do not share your view. They are not prochoice. They are prolife. Why should you be listened to especially by Senators that don’t represent your state?

“I know people personally in Kentucky who need abortion services, who need contraceptive care, who need access to reproductive health care,” answered Maske.

According to the Guttmacher Institute, nearly one in four women in the United States will have an abortion by the age of 45.

Though Pew data shows a majority of the country says abortion should be legal in all or most cases, just 36% of Kentuckians are prochoice. The state legislature recently enacted a law that prohibits abortion after 20 weeks. And there is just one facility left that offers abortion services in the Bluegrass State. All of this only fuels the Global Health major, who says she’s making progress.

“The Senator [Murkowski] knows who I am and knows that I’ve been coming for over a month to talk about these issues,” said Maske.

The college student did a get a commitment from Senator Susan Collins’ office that a judiciary staffer would follow up to address her concerns.

Watch the story:

Comments

• MikeTrip wrote on August 30, 2018 01:14 PM :

“Reproductive Justice”? Is that anything like killing your baby? If you notice the left never has the nerve to say what they really mean.

• Dee W. wrote on August 30, 2018 07:15 PM :

“Reproductive justice advocate”

What a joke.

• Lanny Vincent wrote on August 31, 2018 11:24 AM :

What an idiot. No one is against reproductive health care and if she says that McConnell and Paul are against reproductive health care then she’s a liar. Looks to me like that she needs to get a real job and do something constructive. I agree with Mr. Trip, more Democratic Socialist Party double speak.

• Lanny Vincent wrote on August 31, 2018 11:24 AM :

• Lanny Vincent wrote on August 31, 2018 11:25 AM :

• Lanny Vincent wrote on August 31, 2018 11:25 AM :

• Lanny Vincent wrote on August 31, 2018 11:25 AM :

• Charlie Garrett wrote on September 01, 2018 12:01 PM :

Despicable politicians like McConnell and Paul have lied about abortion for 40 years to gain political power.

If they think abortion is murder, why don’t they support laws to criminalize abortion — put the woman and her doctor in prison or the electric chair — ban the procedure once and for all?

They don’t do that because they want to resurrect the issue in every election for their own sleazy power grabs.

The Bible tells us the first human became a “living being” when God blew into its nostrils and it started to breathe. Human life begins when you start breathing and it ends when you stop. Genesis 2:7

Like every other lie they tell, Republicans use abortion to sucker voters so they can do favors for their big-money campaign contributors.

TWEETS ABOUT KY POLITICS