Hoover says he likely suffered "light heart attack" three weeks ago in lengthy public comment

11/21/2017 11:41 AM

Former House Speaker Jeff Hoover, who resigned from leadership after revealing that he signed a confidential sexual harassment settlement with a staffer, is breaking his silence online and confirming it’s likely he had a heart attack three weeks ago.

In a lengthy posting on his Facebook page on Monday, Hoover, R-Jamestown, thanks God for “the disruptions and problems in my life over the past few weeks and my failings.”

“You may find that odd. But I have come to accept and truly believe God has a purpose in all that has happened to me and my prayer is that I can use all that has happened in the past month to honor and glorify Him better than ever with my life,” he wrote. “I am not sure what that is, but I know he has a plan and I am excited to see what it is and follow him, for he is my Shepherd.”

Hoover’s public comments are his first since November 5, when Hoover resigned as the Speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives.

During that press conference, Hoover admitted to engaging in inappropriate text messages that he said was consensual, but wrong.

However, he said that relationship between him and the accuser never went beyond consensual and inappropriate messages.

In his Facebook post on Monday, Hoover said the past weeks have taken a “tremendous toll on me, both physically and emotionally, as well as affected my wife, my family, and friends.”

Hoover, again apologized to his family and friends, and said he was recommitting himself to his faith, family and friends. He added that his recent trip to the hospital got his attention.

“My recent health scare (including in all likelihood a light heart attack three weeks ago) has certainly gotten my attention as well. Three days and two nights in a hospital will certainly get your attention as well.”

The Legislative Research Commission announced last week that no tax dollars were used in the sexual harassment settlement. Remaining House Republican leaders have retained a law firm who is expected to release a preliminary report next week. Three other GOP lawmakers have been named as also taking part in the settlement with the staffer.

Last week state Rep. Jim Wayne, D-Louisville, sent a letter calling on the ethics commission to investigate the matter. House Democratic leaders have asked any investigation to be conducted transparently, and not through an attorney working for the House Republican Party.

Hoover has not resigned from the legislature and continues to serve as a state Representative for the 83rd House District encompassing Clinton, Cumberland, part of Pulaski and all of Russell Counties.

Read the full Facebook post below:

Nick Storm

Nick Storm is the Anchor and Managing Editor of Pure Politics available exclusively on Spectrum News. Pure Politics is the only nightly program dedicated to Kentucky politics. Nick covers all of the political heavyweights and his investigative work brings to light issues that might otherwise go unnoticed, like his coverage of the backlog of DNA rape kits waiting to be tested in Kentucky. Nick is also working on a feature length bio documentary Outlaw Poet: A documentary on Ron Whitehead. Pure Politics airs weeknight at 7 and 11:30 on Spectrum News. Follow Nick on Twitter @NStorm_Politics. Nick can be reached at 502-792-1107 or nicholas.storm@charter.com.

Comments

• Tom Coe wrote on November 21, 2017 03:01 PM :

I wonder if part of God’s plan for Mr. Hoover is for him to disclose the details and dollar amounts of his sexual harassment settlement(s); and account for where the money came from? God is, I suppose, very forgiving about these things. However, as a taxpayer – I am not. I will start having some sympathy if/when Hoover comes clean. The harassment is but a small fraction of what He has done wrong, the funding and cover-up are far more serious moving forward.

#FBI #AnotherHundredYears