Decision 2016 | Local Races
10/04/2016 12:54 PM
While most of the attention in the general election is focused on the top of the ticket, the presidential race, and more prominent local races contest for the Kentucky State House and Senate, there will be a handful of other local races on various counties’ ballots across the Commonwealth.
1) County Judge Executive: An elected position that serves as the head of the executive branch of government in a county. They serve a four-year term, and may be re-elected indefinitely.
2) Circuit Court Clerk: An elected position that serves a six-year term and is responsible for managing the records of circuit and district courts. There is one elected in each Kentucky county.
3) Magistrate / Justice of Peace: Serves on the Fiscal Court in a county with 3-8 other magistrates. Counties are divided into 3-8 districts and one magistrate is elected from each of those districts within a county. They serve a four-year term.
4) County Commissioner: Serves on the Fiscal Court in a county with two other commissioners. All three county commissioners are elected by a county at large, except for counties that contain a city of the first class (a city that has a population of 100,000 or more). In a city of the first class, the commissioners’ districts are designated A, B, and C. The commissioners from each district run every four years in staggered years.
5) Commonwealth’s Attorney: More commonly known as a district attorney, they are the elected prosecutor of felony crimes. They serve a six-year term.
School Board Member
- Elected by residents of the school district
- Composed of five members that serve four-year terms – Jefferson County Public Schools has a board of seven members
- Terms are staggered
- No term limits
- In Kentucky’s 12 largest school districts there are a total of 35 seats on the ballot this November.
- 11 of those 12 districts have three seats up for election
Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisor
- Each county is represented by a local conservation district, consisting of seven elected supervisors
- Assist landowners in protecting soil and water quality
- Cannot hold any other elected office while they are serving on the conservation board
- They do not collect a salary
- Serve a four-year term
Those are just a few of the local elections that will be on the ballot on Tuesday, November 8. For a list of candidates in your county, go to the Secretary of State’s website or contact your local county clerk.
Below the Fold
The Chatter: Judge hears arguments on motion to temporarily halt pre-abortion ultrasound law, Medicaid waiver approval expected soon
Kentucky State Police Lab becoming training ground for other state labs because of low pay, lab director says
Insure Kentucky celebrates 7th anniversary of Obamacare with U.S. House poised to vote on replacement
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.