Conway makes rate case move as AG, will refuse utilities' donations as candidate
06/02/2010 11:07 AM
(UPDATED WITH VIDEO) FRANKFORT – Attorney General Jack Conway who is the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate announced a move he was making in a electricity rate case at a press conference this morning. Conway told reporters that that he would not accept campaign contributions from the companies involved: Louisville Gas and Electric and Kentucky Utilities.
“I’m going to be turning down any campaign contributions from these companies while they have a case pending before the commission,” he said, referring to the Public Service Commission. The attorney general represents consumers during rate increase proceedings that go before the commission, which regulates utilities.
Conway on Wednesday filed a motion seeking to dismiss the sister companies combined $250 million rate increase request because they are in the process of being sold to a Pennsylvania company, PPL Corporation. Conway said PPL should come back with the increase request once the sale is final. “It’s that company that should have to make the case to the PSC, not the company with a for-sale sign in its yard.”
Overall, Conway said his office is prepared to argue against the size of the increase, which he called “awfully high.”
Conway said balancing his official duty as attorney general has not been an awkward balance with his political obligations, such as raising money, as a U.S. Senate candidate. “No, it doesn’t make it difficult to do my job,” Conway said.
Here’s the video:
- Reporting by Ryan Alessi, video produced by Don Weber
Below the Fold
Previously untested sexual assault kit links with serial rapist; As kits come back work continues to inform victims
Trump's first budget proposal will "have a hard time getting much traction" in Congress, Yarmuth says
Son of state senator banned from 3rd floor of Capitol Annex says he will hire an attorney to clear his name
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.