Beshear: Affordable Care Act issue could boomerang and hurt critics in November 2014
12/17/2013 06:16 PM
Democrats shouldn’t run away from the Affordable Care Act because the issue could be a boon to them next November, Gov. Steve Beshear told television reporters Tuesday.
“In my opinion, November a year from now this issue is going to look entirely different than it does today,” Beshear said. Here’s his reasoning: 80 percent of Americans won’t be affected by the new law and will realize it by then and most of the other 20 percent will have access to health insurance, some for the first time.
In response to a question from WHAS-11’s Joe Arnold, Beshear also said that Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes is “doing exactly what she needs to do right now and that is raise money” for her run for the seat held by Republican U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell.
Grimes has taken criticism, particularly from Republicans, for being reluctant to delve into issues or answer more than a few questions from reporters after events.
Beshear said Grimes has “plenty of time” to engage in issues. Here’s his full response:
Below the Fold
Rep. Brian Linder admits pressure is now on GOP, but is looking forward to help move the state forward
Gov. Bevin talks new building panel, Medicaid waiver application, gun violence and pensions in wide-ranging news conference
Proposed legislation would allow licensed physical therapists to practice in other states without having to obtain an additional license
Sen. John Schickel says General Assembly has done 'horrible' when it comes to addressing the heroin crisis
Subscribe and get the latest political intelligence delivered to your inbox.