SEC Tournament Trip Recap
03/13/2011 11:29 PM
The trip wasn’t as eventful as I had hoped – thanks to the long game sessions and early morning radio shows – but I still had a great time in Atlanta. Here are the Top Ten moments/highlights (that I can write) from my trip to the SEC Tournament. Thanks for following along!
10. There goes the neighborhood. 16 grown men living in one house didn’t sound like much fun on paper, but, surprisingly, it was. We rented out a house in an unbelievable neighborhood in Buckhead, Georgia. With neighbors like Usher and Elton John, the KSTV/KSR crew fit right in and immediately devalued the property.
9. I spent a lot of time in the gym. While some chose to double up in beds and on couches in the house, I found privacy and comfort in my own room downstairs – the gym. For four nights, I slept on the ground right under the Bowflex machine. It was almost like home to me.
8. “Bradley Unplugged” The KSTV cameraman has some serious vocal cords. Well, at least he thinks so. Bradley made the long drive bearable with his freestyle raps and Keith Sweat sing-alongs.
7. Student General Admission means steal someone’s seat. Mark Krebs and I paid $10 per day to get into the Georgia Dome. Our seats were general admission in the upper level student section but that wasn’t close enough for us. So we sat in the same two front row lower level endzone seats for every game. Not a bad deal.
6. Postgame interview with the lovely Mary Jo Perino. Krebs and I ran into Mary Jo Perino of LEX 18 after Kentucky’s win against Alabama on Friday. We were interviewed by Mary Jo in a segment that will never be used on television. But it was fun.
5. Protein overdose at Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse. Until Saturday night, I had never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse. Now I’m in love. They just keep bringing you meat until you switch your card from green (FEED ME!) to red (I’M GOING TO THROW UP)
4. I think we brought too much luggage. Thanks to over-packing and poor planning, we looked like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills. Riding in the backseat with luggage in my lap was extremely uncomfortable, but it made the arrival so much sweeter.
3. Morning radio show at STATS Sports Bar The KSR crew broadcasted live from STATS in downtown Atlanta from 10am-noon on Thursday and Friday. The show brought a flood of Cats fans into the bar for pre-game socializing and partying. It was a great time and I really enjoyed meeting so many UK fans. I’m still amazed at the turnout.
2. Welcome to CATlanta, Georgia! STATS wasn’t the only place full of Kentucky fans, the entire city of Atlanta was painted UK blue. Kentucky fans outnumbered the rest of civilization 100 to 1. To quote Coach Cal: “You people are crazy.”
1. Back-to-Back SEC Tournament Champions How sweet it is!!!